Decay Detection Testing in Croydon, Esher and the South of England | Certainty About the Condition of Your Trees
If you want to find out exactly what condition your trees are in, you need our decay detection services. We meet all kinds of requirements, from clients in Cobham, Epsom, Richmond and Southampton who need decay detection testing for a tree work or planning application, to customers in Croydon, Esher, Guildford and Reigate who want to look after an important tree or need a report for insurance purposes. No matter your needs, Arbor Cultural Ltd uses the latest methods and technology to provide accurate assessments and suitable recommendations.
Formed in 2014, Arbor Cultural Ltd has many years of experience producing tree reports that satisfy the requirements of a broad range of customers, from homeowners and private landowners to developers, local councils and schools, including decay assessments and reports.
Types of Decay Detection Testing
With the latest technology and over 20 years of combined experience, we offer both invasive and non-invasive detection testing and we include decay tests in various tree surveys and reports, depending on your requirements.
We use Arbotom sonic tomography which uses soundwaves to create a two-dimensional picture that shows zones of different sound-transmission properties. This indicates degrees of decay and the presence of any hollow spots.
The advantage of this method is that it enables us to assess the level of decay without causing any damage to the tree. In addition, with the Arbotom software we can use the data we collect to calculate strength loss.
Invasive decay detection testing in Cobham, Croydon, Epsom, Esher, Guildford, Reigate, Richmond and Southampton involves using a Resi 400 PD Micro Drill (also known as a Resistograph) to drill into the tree with a slow speed 3mm wood drill. As this enters the tree, it records the resistance of the timber, with lower resistance indicating softer or more decayed wood.
If the device identifies significant decay, we can confirm this through trunk core sampling. This is the process of extracting a core sample of the tree which we inspect to determine the extent of decay and strength loss.
Why Carry Out a Decay Detection Test?
Decay detection testing offers various benefits and produces useful information which helps us provide better management recommendations. For example:
- Evidence on the structural integrity of trees.
- The extent of any decay in tree trunks or branches.
- Greater certainty about the internal structure of trees.
- Our tests provide the analysis local authorities require for tree works applications or planning applications.
- We can include a decay detection test as part of a tree report to address tree decay for insurance purposes or to meet your duty of care obligations.
- A decay detection test gives customers in Cobham, Guildford, Reigate, Richmond and the South of England peace of mind over tree concerns.
- Our tests allow clients in the Croydon, Epsom, Esher and Southampton areas to retain trees longer because we can recommend minor tree surgery to maintain the health of trees, rather than felling them.
Treatment & Management Recommendations
As expert tree consultants, Arbor Cultural Ltd recommends suitable treatment and management options following decay detection testing. While this will vary on every job, some options we may suggest are:
- Regular management and retesting to assess the spread and rate of decay.
- Climbing inspections to inspect defects at height.
- Air spading and mulching to improve tree health.
- Chlorophyll fluorescence testing or chlorophyll content testing which assess the physiological health of the tree.
- Various soil treatments.